Thursday, May 12, 2011

Response to an article

For this assignment I had to read an article from the Writer Magazine web site and respond to it. I read an article that talked about how to sell your work if your writing a book. I read this because I myself am writing a book. It was a short little article that just said to basically work on your book all the time when you have the chance and to sell it to someone all you have to do is to get them interested and then wait them out completely. What the person meant by this is when a person is going to publish your book you have to send them bits and pieces of your work so they can read it. So if the person who is publishing your book gets hooked into it then you can hold out on sending the next copy. This plan only backfires if you wait too long and the publisher forgets what he/she read before hand or becoming uninterested in reading the book any more. Now my book started off as a assignment that I got last year in English class. The assignment was to write a essay about whatever we wanted. My teacher didn't care if it was a fake or real story so I decided to put both in. I came up with 10 pages for my story when we only needed five. Once it was over and graded I just started writing more on to it little by little until I decided that I wanted to make it into a book. Now that it's a year later I'm on page 61 as of last night. You would think I would be further because it's been a year since I started, but I never really have time to work on it. I would like my book to be between 250 to 300 pages, but if I can't get it that far I think I'll still get it published. Between this month and the next I plan to finish the book and get it published. My hope is to give it one to two years to get more popular and then make a movie off of it. This is one of those books that is a lot better once put on the big screen. My plan is to direct the movie if it did become big and I would like to put all the people who are in my story in the movie. You see the people in my story are based on people in real life, so I think it would be super cool if the people who I wrote about could play themselves. The reason I decided to continue writing my book was because I think it will give me closure for my ended friendship of 11 years. Now I do understand that not every book that is out there is a movie and I have little chance of getting everything that I want, but I do believe that if there is even the slightest chance of me getting what I want then I should have hope.

3 comments:

  1. So do you have high hopes of getting your book published? From what I hear of it so far if that did happen it may actually make a good movie. :)Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do just for the fact that I think publishers would jump on the fact that I have a long story and I'm still in high school. I think it would make a good movie as well. thank you=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it the idea of the story that got you wanting it to be published or just that fact that you can say you did? Or maybe another reason?

    ReplyDelete